
Last night I went and saw Keating! The Musical! At Belvoir St Theatre.
It as brilliant!! BRILLIANT! Who woulda thought an Ex PM could make such a perfect subject for musical theatre. Then again, he was referred to as the 'Placido Domingo' of Australian politics.
Ahhh. Myself, the Bro, the Sal, the Dad, the Gilly and the Tone laughed hysterically and cheered enthusiastically through the 2 or so hour show (felt like about 20 mins!) and came out ever so happy but also somewhat downhearted that the fictional ending didn't ring true. Ah the halcyon days of the nation's politics! The days of Mabo, the days of saying sorry, of 'getting on with your neighbours', and of fresh, liberal and ethical ideas! TAKE US BACK!!
Highlights of the show included, well, the entire show! But in particular:
* Mike McLeish (in the title role)'s entrance
* Alexander Downer's Frank'n'furter routine, "I'm just too FREAKY" yes yes you are!
* the star-crossed lovers, Gareth and Cheryl. "My heart's in peril, Cheryl", "Heavens, Mr Evans!"
ebrating Keating at his most popular. "Yes I am/ I am da leader of da land/ people say dat I'm da man/who da man?"
* the Aussie hip hop battle between Keating and Hewson, which culminated in Hewson taking Keating up the arse as K whispered lovingly "I wanna doooo you slooowwly"
* the clever set and costuming
* the talented cast
* limp wristed Howard (aaargh cringe!), brilliantly impersonated, going for his walk on the 'Mate-ship' as a blokey bloke, first in his aussie tracksuit, then as a soldier, then in that trusty akubra.
Ohhh i want to go see it again. If you can get a ticket, GO GO GO it is just so refreshing and entertaining, and oh did i say it was BRILLIANT! ?
No comments:
Post a Comment