
On Thursday night I saw an excellent play. On Friday morning I attended a very significant Indigenous Art Symposium. On Friday night I danced to a kickarse Perth band live on the roof of a local bar.
On Saturday morning I "ooohed" and "aaahed" at the largest annual central Aus Indigenous art sale. Saturday afternoon I saw beautiful performances by indigenous dancers from across Central Aus (including WA, NT and SA), such as the Tjanpi dancers, above. On Saturday night (and Sunday morning) I drank and danced barefoot around fires and dogs in a creekbed kilometres out of Alice, to music by local and interstate 'new music' performers, and watched a kickarse laser performance, projected through swirls of smoke onto the branches of the gums way above our heads.
On Sunday I watched our B Grade soccer team dramatically make their way into next week's grandfinals. The underdogs; they weren't expected to make it to the quarter finals. Go Devils. The afternoon was spent watching the grandfinal of the community footy comp. The 90% indigenous crowd went crazy when Yeundemu - the favourites - took the trophy, leaving Papunya in their wake. I had no idea what was happening, but could appreciate the fact that the players were bloody talented. The scouts present probably agree.
Yesterday I went to Titjikala Community - about 120 kms south of Alice - for the opening of their new Art Centre. But that deserves its very own blog post, to come.
Turns out it ain't the arse end of the world after all. At least, not this month.
PS ALSO I have a fairly new flickr page.
1 comment:
and one great blog entry
Post a Comment