
I think it's great that Powderfinger and Silverchair are dedicating their upcoming national tour to 'reconiciliation'.
But I'm a bit miffed as to why they aren't going to take it to the centre - easily the most obvious point for a discussion of race relations.
Don't think I am just whynging cos I'm missing out - I've seen them both countless times and am not going to shed a tear over my loss. I've come to terms with the fact that it is just way too expensive for most acts to include the centre in their tours. What annoys me is a) it is being touted as an all-encompassing 'national' tour and b) they are throwing the 'R' word around like confetti yet ignoring the areas and audiences that live and breathe it every day.
Rina Ferris from promotions company Ferris Davies PRM said it was just
too hard for them to get here.
"the whole idea behind the tour is to ensure that we were going to be able to bring the exact same quality show to the regional areas as we were doing in the cities and we didn't want to compromise that in any way."
(I'd like to point out that no-one here would care if the show's quality was slightly lower than that in the cities - in fact we would expect it to be! How would we know anyway?)
The bands have even used images of Uluru in their pomotional material.
"I can assure you that Alice Springs was in the promoters' minds from the very start but no matter how we tried to route the tour, the three days travel in and the three out just wasn't going to work."
Have they not heard of planes?
I know it is expensive and hard for groups to tour the centre, but Darren Hanlon is playing this Sunday, and John Butler comes in August with Josh Pyke...so surely the two biggest contemporary bands in Aus, who pride themselves on being politically aware and passionate about indigenous relations could manage it?
Hmmph.
But I'm a bit miffed as to why they aren't going to take it to the centre - easily the most obvious point for a discussion of race relations.
Don't think I am just whynging cos I'm missing out - I've seen them both countless times and am not going to shed a tear over my loss. I've come to terms with the fact that it is just way too expensive for most acts to include the centre in their tours. What annoys me is a) it is being touted as an all-encompassing 'national' tour and b) they are throwing the 'R' word around like confetti yet ignoring the areas and audiences that live and breathe it every day.
Rina Ferris from promotions company Ferris Davies PRM said it was just
too hard for them to get here.
"the whole idea behind the tour is to ensure that we were going to be able to bring the exact same quality show to the regional areas as we were doing in the cities and we didn't want to compromise that in any way."
(I'd like to point out that no-one here would care if the show's quality was slightly lower than that in the cities - in fact we would expect it to be! How would we know anyway?)
The bands have even used images of Uluru in their pomotional material.
"I can assure you that Alice Springs was in the promoters' minds from the very start but no matter how we tried to route the tour, the three days travel in and the three out just wasn't going to work."
Have they not heard of planes?
I know it is expensive and hard for groups to tour the centre, but Darren Hanlon is playing this Sunday, and John Butler comes in August with Josh Pyke...so surely the two biggest contemporary bands in Aus, who pride themselves on being politically aware and passionate about indigenous relations could manage it?
Hmmph.
1 comment:
Here Here!!
I wish Darren Hanlon was my pimp
Post a Comment