Thursday, June 07, 2007

OH! How Embarassment!

Two posts for the price of one!

1) I just projectile-spat an entire mouthful of water all over myself, my computer, my desk, and the floor.

I took a giant swig from my drink bottle, but squeezed it a little enthusiastically at the same time, and a jet of water shot right to the back of my throat, causing me to gag. I let out a little splutter and tried my best to swallow, or at least keep the rest of it inside, but I couldn't. With one huge cough and many subsequent splutters it was launched: sprayed over my hands, down my arms, onto the computer screen and keyboard, all over my pants and seat and onto the floor too. I thought it was never going to end!! My boss freaked out and ran in cos she thought I was spewing and death was imminent. All I could do to reassure her was try to smile as I coughed my lungs up and give her one rather soggy thumbs up.

2) In less embarassing news, Peter Garrett was in town yesterday to launch the new website and tour of Ngapartji Ngapartji, an excellent performance and language sharing program that teaches audience members Pitjantjatjara as well as conveying a tragic story about the Spinifex people ruined by the Maralinga awfulness and the Cold War. Check it out at www.ngapartji.org (pls note that despite yesterday being the 'launch', the new website wont be online until next week...but the old one's still good)

NGapartji Ngapartji translates to 'You give me something, I give you something'. In this spirit, some fo the Ngapartji cast and crew translated 'Beds Are Burning' into Pitjantjara, gave Garrett a sheet of lyrics and they all performed it! It was absolutely fantastic, and I will try to load my video of it up tomorrow.

No comments: