News tends to come slowly when you're trekking in rural lao, bed-bound in a stinking hot hotel in Rajastan, or asleep in a foreign airport. Here are just a few of the 'Big Stories' of 2006 that I missed at the time.
What: Bombs explode in Varanassi, India
When: March 7
Details: Three bombs are let off in a religious attack in Varanassi, the major Hindu pilgrimmage city in India, killing 15.
What the hell was I doing? Packing. Badly, evidently, as in retrospect it must have been around this time that I left my ticket to Nepal on the hotel room floor. I found out at the Vientiane airport...on my way to Bangkok, Kathmandu and then Varanassi.
What: Mischa's quiet retirement from OC/Marissa's death
When: Sometime in mid 2006?
Details: Mischa Barton becomes an even bigger pain in the arse for OC producers and cast/ Marissa dies in a no doubt incredibly dramatic, horrifically tragic car crash. Other characters feel teen angst, even the parents, who are at least 21.
What the hell was I doing? Not sure what I was doing at the exact time, but I remember where I was the moment I found out (just like I know where I was the moment I found out about Diana's death, or JFK's). I was walking around the cafes of Santorini with 2 aussies and an american, trying to find a restaurant that would give us free wine. Also received cram course in OC plot history.
What: Steve Irwin dies.
When: September 4
Details: Crocodiles transfer some funds to the North Side Rays and one of their men barb Steve in the chest in what the PM described as a 'freakish accicent'. Tragically this occured just as Bindi's TV career was being groomed for world domination. Now her fame is all but lost.
What the hell was I doing? Enjoying the best festival in the history of the universe - Electric Picnic!! - with Mon and Ant in a bog somewhere in Ireland. At the EXACT moment he died I believe we were washing Tesco digestives down with Bavaria Beer, in his honour. When we got back to Dublin we needed pies so we stopped at the bakery with all our muddy gear, where the observant woman behind the counter said 'it's sad about your Stevie'. We stared back. I thought Steve Waugh had died. Then she told us. Spent the next week at work giving personal eulogies to all and sundry, and fielding cries of 'crikey' whenever I opened my mouth. Proud, as always, to represent my country.
What: Augie March's 'One Crowded Hour' is popular!
When: released April 1
Details: Augie March, quoted by an esteemed journalist (me) in 2003 as 'one of Australia's most underrated bands', releases third album (after 5 year wait) and lead single One Crowded Hour gains huge popularity and commercial radio success. Despite being in no way a change in direction for the band, the song went so far as to top the Triple J Hottest 100.
What the hell was I doing? Travelling around hoping that my old ipod would last more than three hours for just one long bus/plane tripm/ Living in Ireland where new Australian music can be summarised by reference to three iconic groups: Wolfmother, Jet and Jet.
What: Earthquake hits Java, Indonesia.
When: May 27
Details: A 6.3 magnitude earthquake hits Java and kills more than 6000 people. Because it had been long enough and they deserved another fekkin catastrophe.
What the hell was I doing? Sitting in my hotel in Istanbul, wondering why they were showing old footage of the 2004 tsunami on the weekly news round-up.
What: Mega carry on restrictions enforced on flights from the UK.
When: August 10
Details: Cast of The Bill make 21 arrests in connection to an alleged foiled terrorist attack in London. All possible terrorists/passengers on flights have to put their things in Glad Bags. Way longer delays than normal at Heathrow. I know, even LONGER than normal.
What the hell was I doing? Working, then wondering why Mon was taking so long to come back to Dublin from London.
What: Saddam Hussein hanged.
When: December 30
Details: America's World Police deem it appropriate and, above all, moral to hang Hussein, despite the fact that he was due to appear in court over yet more charges. Two wrongs DO make a right.
What the hell was I doing? Experiencing peace, love and mung beans at Peat's Ridge Festival. At the exact moment I was probably dancing barefoot or eating Hare Krishna food in the wee hours.
What: Richard Carlton dies.
When: May 7
Details: 'Ol Flakky' himself, the pater of Australian commercial network current affairs, dies suddenly of a heart attack whilst covering the Beaconsfield Mine disaster.
What the hell was I doing? Considering I didn't actually find out he had died until I had been home for a few weeks - and thus, a good 8 months after the event - I'd say I was doing a lot.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
great blog... kudos sarah, kudos
thankyou chris, thankyou. now you post. go on. it's not that hard.
Post a Comment