It seems that every time I go out these days I end up chatting to someone with whom I am vaguely connected. It's getting very weird.
It happened a lot last year - I was constantly gobsmacked by the amount of times I ran into someone I knew from CSU, or who knew people I'd been to uni with, or who had travelled with people I'd met in entirely different countries on entirely different continents.
But it hasn't stopped!
At Kylie's farewell drinks at Hyde Park Barracks K and I thought it was hilarious that we saw 'red shirt boy' (see post way below). That was a bit weird. Weirder was the fact he was there with my good mate Carla Webb! Kylie noted that I always run into people I know when we go out and referenced previous examples (with footnotes).
Then, at Ant and Alex's Aus Day party, Tim and I were chatting to Cam, boyfriend of Mon and Ant's mate Cath, about where he lived. He described his abode's location by referencing Australia St in Newtown and Tim responded with a very loud and enthusiastic 'WHOA SARAH WENT TO SCHOOL AT AUSTRALIA ST!', which is true. One of the many guests who were privy to this outburst turned around, looked at me quizically and said was similarly educated at that very institution. Turns out it was little Karl who'd been in my class for the three years we were there, and who had fond memories of my infamous fifth birthday soiree. crazy. We caught up on the last, oh, 18 years. The Kevin Bacon moments continued when he said he was a Sydney High boy, so we knew a good 20 other people in common, and he asked if I knew Gill White. Why yes, I went to primary school with the girl after Aus St, and actually just saw her last month in fekkin MONTREAL. Then the guy next to Karl entered the conversation because he was Gill's ex. Of course. Seeing at they are all mates with Alex and Ant, it became clear that Anthea knew Gill quite well too!
In the post-inebriation of the following morning the enormity of the connection was fully realised. The fresh Bondi sea breeze breathed clarity to my mind and the debate began. Have the planets aligned to bring everyone I know but have never met, or haven't met in a long time, into my path? Or do I just know everyone in Sydney these days? Am I the unwitting subject of a Truman Show-style reality tv show on cable? I don't have cable so I wouldn't know.
This weekend it happened again. I went out on Thursday night for Coopes' farewell drinks (she ain't going anywhere, just quit AAP to move to.....the MEAA! obviously). Started chatting to one of the journos there who happens to be the bro of a guy I used to work with when I was at the MEAA in '05. This dude also went out with - and allegedly unceremoniously screwed over - one of the lovely meaa girls. That was an awkward conversation. Why did i bring it up? Ah but I digress.
LAST NIGHT. At the Cricketers Arms for podwars with Tim, Kendal and Fleur. They're his mates from Dubbo, but all live in Syd these days, and I've known Fleur for a while cos she went to CSU too. So I'm chatting to her about our relative overseas adventures and ask what she's doing now. She's a teacher...at Willoughby primary school (the closest school to my house..tho not my old school...). I ask if she happens to know another teacher there by the name of Hillier (very possibly mispelt). Hillier is the daughter of Roger, the dude who runs the bookshop with Dad. Yes, Fleur knows Hillier. In fact they're really good mates....and in fact would that mean mine was the other family who share the holiday house in Shipley, in the Blue Mountains? Cos she was up there last year for a few nights....
Umm yes that'd be us.
Ok kids I best be off - a much anticipated visit to the incredible shrinking great Aunt shacked up in the horrid Lane Cove retirement village awaits. Prospect of viewing of much-praised Babel and digesting of much-loved Thai cuisine with lovely family afterwards = slightly more appealing.
I'll post tomorrow to let you know which former UniBar staff are now aides at the nursing home, and which of my primary school teachers feature in Babel.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I too also know of Hillier together at the same time. Wowee!
whaaaaaaaaaat???
dude, email me. if you have my addy. i dont have yours.
Post a Comment