So. An update on things here in Alice.
Beanie Festival
Four days dedicated entirely to the humble (and not so humble) Beanie! I went three times, with a very lame outcome...I only purchased 2 beanies. I am ashamed. James bought 5. Aline bought 3. Dan bought 4.
Soccer
I hope you're sitting down for this.
Seriously this one is worthy of a national news update. Our team, Thorny Devils C Grade mixed, have solidly occupied the bottom position on the table since our very first game. Our past losses include a 12-0 obliteration. We rarely have more than one sub, or even an entire team. But we have the most fun. Oh how we laugh at our inabilities!
Then, this weekend just gone, the unthinkable happened.
We won *
We won!!
(the other team had only 5 players so were forced to forfeit)
Territory Day
Last Sunday was Territory Day = Cracker night!
They were only officially legal on Sunday from 6pm to 10pm, but that didn't stop people letting them off here, there and everywhere with narry a care for the eyes, ears or nerves of passers-by from Saturday arvo until...well actually they are still going off every now and again.
On Sunday we had a cracker night party. Our abode was thought appropriate due to it's situation next to a vacant block, which is adjacent to the river and close to the oval where the 'official' fireworks were. We all got our little packs of crackers from Foodland and went to the vacant block and took turns setting them off. Very fun. Possibly most hilarious was seeing James, who apparenlty has a 'slight' phobia of crackers, after much convincing take the 'tank' cracker to the middle fo the field, light it, absolutely sprint back to the group, only to realise that the 'tank' was infact the lamest little spittler of them all. I approximate its range at about 1-2cm in any direction.
Later, by the fire in our own backyard, two of Dan's mates came over with bigger, better fireworks. By then we'd had a few wines and were quite comfortable, and too lazy to move next door, so we let them light them right there in the back yard.
Mistake.
Firstly, our numerous big dry gum trees narrowly escaped immoliation. Secondly, the girls set the two biggest fireworks off at the same time, and somehow one or perhaps both FELL OVER, sending potentially deadly explosions, albeit pretty ones, in every direction at head hight. We all got up, screamed, and ran in different directions. I laughed hysterically. I ran behind one of the big armchairs...then when a ball of flaming explosive hit the fence directly behind me, sending sparks eveyrwhere, I ran inside. I still can;t believbe no one got hit. Oh to see footage of us all running aroudn screaming like headless chooks who could somehow still scream.
Tomorrow
Tomorrow is Show Day! Yet another day off in this, the queen of all states and territories when it comes to public holidays. I will use the time to write an article that is due...ummm...tomorrow. Why do I still leave everything to the last minute?
Pauline Hanson
Pauline Hanson is in town AGAIN. This time she isn't promoting her latest foray into literature...she is here to judge best-dressed at the Imparja Camel Cup next Saturday.
Next week is Naidoc week, and my mummeh is visiting!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment